If you talk to a man in a language he understands, that goes to his head.
If you talk to him in his language, that goes to his heart.
In the French Department we understand that Languages are for life and we see the study of Modern Foreign Languages as an important part of our pupils’ education. Whilst giving employment opportunities to our pupils, it also enables them to appreciate other cultures and people while enabling them to have a better understanding of their own. Our intention is to promote cultural awareness and develop our young people into global citizens of the 21st century through active, fun and independent learning.
Our Language lessons offer pupils the opportunity to develop listening, reading, speaking and writing skills in a creative environment in a range of ways including games, presentations, video clips, pair work, group work, projects, on-line activities and the use of French Language Assistant. Pupils are encouraged to speak as much target language as possible in lessons and topics and materials are chosen to reflect the interests of our young people while enabling them to be successful at their GCSE and A-Level French Exam.
Trips and French Exchange.
The French Department regularly organise a 7 days Trip to Boulogne-Sur-Mer and a French Exchange to Alencon with the purpose of immersing the pupils into the French Culture and for our students to put into practice all they have learned in lessons and boost their confidence.
French Exchange 2019
All our French teachers are passionate about languages and specialists in their field.
In addition to teaching French we also teach Spanish or German to KS3, KS4 and KS5.
Ms M Ngami– Curriculum Leader for French – email@example.com
Ms D Bittner – Curriculum Leader for German and Spanish firstname.lastname@example.org
Mr M Wade – 6th Form Senior Tutor – email@example.com
Mrs E Templeman – Lead Practitioner & Professional Coordinating Mentor – firstname.lastname@example.org
Ms A Iova – MFL Teacher – email@example.com
In addition to our Language teachers, we have a Foreign Language Assistant (FLA) for French. Our FLA runs lunchtime language clubs and during lesson time, provides pupils with the valuable opportunities for small group conversations in the target language.
Topics covered include:
|Year 7||Year 8||Year 9|
From September 2016 we will be following the new AQA GCSE French specification.
Topics covered will include:
|Identity and Culture:
Home, town, neighbourhood, region
|Current and future study and Employment:
Grammar, skills and strategies
Across all Key Stages pupils will gain a variety of literacy strategies, practice skills in listening, speaking, reading and writing in the target language, and build on their knowledge of grammar and vocabulary. Pupils will learn how to:
- understand and produce information on a variety of topics, both of personal interest as well as local and global interest, including opinions, justifications and arguments
- understanding and producing information in the past, present and future tenses
- use accurate grammar, spelling and punctuation.
- understand and respond to a variety of spoken and written instructions in the target language
- understand and respond to spoken and written information in a variety of forms, including songs, stories, poems, letters, articles, advertisements, pictures, posters
- speak confidently in the target language with an understanding of the important of pronunciation, intonation and appropriate forms of address
- translate meaning to and from the target language
From September 2016 we will be following the new AQA specification.
Topics covered include:
- The changing nature of family
- The ‘cyber-society’
- The place of voluntary work
- A culture proud of its heritage
- Contemporary francophone music
- Cinema: the 7th art form
- Film study: La Haine
- Positives Aspects of a Diverse Society (Tolerance, Marginalisation, How we treat Criminals)
- Aspects of political life in the French Speaking World ( Young people and their right to vote, Strikes and who has the power, Politic and Immigration)
- Comprehension Skills for literary texts
- Individual research Project
- Book study: Kiffe Kiffe Demain